Monday, December 16, 2019

SLJ Day 1 Activity 2: Discovering Aotearoa

For this activity we would like you to think about your own experiences and your own cultural background. Where does your family come from? Do they come from Europe like Abel Tasman, Polynesia like Kupe, or somewhere else?
On your blog, please tell us about your cultural background. Where do you and your family come from?
My Mums ancestors came from England and my Grandad came to New Zealand from England in the early 1950's when he was 4. My Mums Mum was born in New Zealand and so was she. My Dads parents were born in New Zealand and so was he, I'm not sure about my other relatives further back. My history might be kind of boring, but I know I'm from New Zealand
Image result for england flagImage result for new zealand flag

3 comments:

  1. Kia Ora Bridget!

    Thank you for this post! Your family history is really interesting! That must have been scary for your Grandad to travel that far when he was only 4!

    Lots of your family was born in New Zealand! Were you born here to?

    Have your family always lived in the same part of New Zealand or are they from a few different places?

    Awesome job finding out these facts about your family! It can sometimes take quite a lot of time to find these things out so well done!

    Matilda :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Matilda, thanks for commenting on my blog!
      My great nana used to tell us about coming to New Zealand and apparently my Grandad was a bit naughty on the boat and was over the edge of the boat holding onto the rails! My family has mostly lived in the South Island of New Zealand, both my parents lived in Canterbury for some time of their lives and both moved over to the West Coast. I have lived in the same place for all of my life (in Inchbonnie which is a small place on the West Coast). Again thanks for commenting on my blog
      -Bridget :)

      Delete
    2. Good morning Bridget!

      Wow that must have been scary for your great nana to see her son hanging on the rails like that! I know I would be scared if that was me!

      My family lived in Canterbury for a while too! I think that it's nice that you have been able to stay in the same place for your whole life. It must be a very special place for you :)

      Matilda

      Delete

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.