Monday, December 16, 2019

SLJ Day 1 Activity 1: Setting Sail

For this activity, make a list of ten food items that you could take with you. Please think carefully about what you will take as you won’t have access to a refrigerator or freezer while at sea. Please explain why you would select each item.
On your blog, post your list of 10 food items you would take on an ocean voyage and the reasons why you chose these items.
1. Canned Spaghetti & A Can Opener, I would bring canned spaghetti because you can eat it cold and it lasts a long time
2. Dried Beef, I would bring dried beef because it would last longer than normal meat and doesn't require cooking or a fridge.
3. Preserved Fruit, I would bring preserved fruit such as pears, apples, bananas etc for later on in my journey. Also I would bring these because they can last a long time.
4. Pre-Cooked Rice, I would bring some pre-cooked rice because it tastes nice and would last a decent amount of time.
5. Muesli Bars, I would bring muesli bars because they would last quite a while if they are left in their packaging.
6. Muffins, I would bring some muffins because they taste nice they might not last as long as the other foods but they are a nice snack.
7. Pre-Cooked Pasta, I would bring pre-cooked pasta because it is filling and it could last a while.
8. Oranges, I would bring some oranges because you need vitamin c and they would make a good breakfast snack.
9. Cucumbers, I would bring some cucumbers because they have water in them, they are good snacks and could last a while.
10. Cookies, I would bring some cookies because they can last a while without a fridge and they are a nice snack.
Image result for muesli bar packagingImage result for cookies 

3 comments:

  1. Hey Bridget!

    My name is Matilda. I live in Auckland, and this summer I am working as one of the blog commenters that will be reading and commenting on your blog posts. I am really looking forward to reading everything you post for the summer learning journey, and getting to know you a bit better!

    This blog post is amazing! I loved how you listed your 10 foods with reasons why you would bring them! You have really gone above and beyond! You have obviously thought very carefully about the foods you would take with you if you were to travel at sea for three weeks. I thought your idea about taking dried beef, canned spaghetti, and preserved fruit were particularly clever! Those foods would definitely last you three weeks! I also liked how you were thinking about vitamins when you decided to bring oranges. Keeping healthy while you’re at sea would be important! :)

    I like cucumber best when it’s a bit cold. Can you think of any ways of keeping some of these foods cold without a refrigerator or freezer?

    Thank you so much for this post! I really enjoyed how detailed and thoughtful it is! Keep it up!

    Matilda
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Matilda, Thanks for commenting on my blog! I did take quite a while to complete this task because I thought about how long the foods would last and if I would actually eat it (I'm a very picky eater). With the cucumber I thought if it was stored in a shady area or if it is really cold it wouldn't taste too bad. Again thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
    2. Hey Bridget,

      I love to hear that you were thinking carefully about this post and taking your time! That's awesome! You have a really good point, I hadn't thought about where the boat would be sailing. If you were travelling around Antarctica or somewhere else cold you definitely wouldn't need a fridge!

      Are you on school holidays yet? What are your plans for the summer?

      Keep up the amazing work!

      Matilda :)

      Delete

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.