Sunday, January 12, 2020

SLJ Week 2 Day 3 Activity 1: The Right To Vote

For this activity, let’s imagine that the government decides to create a new $10 bank note and replace Kate with a picture of a different New Zealand woman.
On your blog, tell us who you think the government should put on the new $10 note. Please provide us with a picture of this amazing woman and a short explanation of why you have selected her as Kate Sheppard’s replacement.
Jenny Shipley 2013 (crop).jpgFor this activity if we had to replace Kate Sheppard I think that Dame Jennifer Mary Shipley or Jenny Shipley should go on the $10 note. If you are wondering who Jenny Shipley is she was New Zealand's first female prime minister. I thought if we were going to change the $10 note why not Jenny Shipley. I also related the voting/politics side of things, Kate Sheppard was the woman to get woman the vote & Jenny Shipley was the first woman to get enough votes. Also being New Zealands Prime Minister is a very important job. I hope this is a decent enough explanation on why I think Dame Jennifer Mary Shipley should go on the $10 note (but I still think the $10 is fine with Kate Sheppard).

Image: LINK

3 comments:

  1. Good morning Bridget!

    How was your weekend? Did you get up to anything fun?

    This is incredible! You have done an amazing job justifying why you would put Dame Jennifer Mary Shipley on the $10 note. I love the way you explained who she is and why she deserves to go on the $10 note. Lots of people probably don’t know who she is so it’s awesome that you were able to explain! I think that being the first female Prime Minister of New Zealand is such a big achievement and definitely deserves a place on the $10 note.

    I really like the part where you wrote about how both women are involved in voting/politics. It was very clever to relate Dame Jennifer Mary Shipley and Kate Sheppard this way! It adds a really good point to your argument.

    How did you learn so much about Dame Jennifer Mary Shipley? Did you research her yourself?

    Incredible work Bridget! It seems like every post I read of yours impresses me more than the last!

    Matilda :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Matilda, thanks for commenting on my blog!

      My week/weekend has been pretty good I've done basically nothing but that's fine, how was your week/weekend.

      I'm glad my post is all right, I do always put effort and time into these activities so I'm glad my explaination was clear :). I hadn't even heard of Jenny Shipley before this activity. I just thought about the politics and Kate Sheppard and thought it would be smart to choose the first female Prime Minister.

      I learnt a lot about Jenny Shipley from research, but I didn't copy and paste I put things into my own words.

      Again thanks for commenting on my blog and I'm glad you liked this post!

      -Bridget :)

      Delete
    2. Good morning Bridget!

      Sometimes it's nice just to have a relaxing week/weekend! My week/weekend was good! I went on a two day first aid course which was really interesting!

      I can tell you have written this in your own words! Very good! It can be really hard sometimes so thank you for doing this!

      Did you enjoy researching Jenny Shipley? I always have a lot of fun learning about new people and the things they have done!

      Again, awesome work with this one!

      Matilda :)

      Delete

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.